Jon is a facilitator here at World in Conversation, and he stated, “I would not have received the offer without my work at World in Conversation. Accounting is a service industry and communication is huge in my field. Through my work at World in Conversation I have learned how to effectively communicate with people from all walks of life; this is something that I could not have learned in a textbook, an experience that will benefit me for the rest of my life.” Jon said he naturally talked about his work here at WinC while responding to questions in his interview. “Especially when it came to the behavioral questions, I could always relate them back to World in Conversation.”
- I have the confidence to ask questions without the fear of being politically correct.
- I have a deep understanding of what it means to work with a team because I understand group dynamics and can ask questions to be sure a quieter person has the opportunity to speak or a more dominant voice is paused to allow room for other opinions.
- From my experiences co-facilitating I pay attention to people’s body language because it helps me understand whether or not we are on the same page and can lead me to check-in with a colleague about our communication.
Jon reiterated the importance of the experiences he gained at World in Conversation; he told me that he shared with his prospective employers that at WinC he:
- met and conversed with over 35 different people from all walks of life EVERY WEEK
- co-facilitated with over 30 other colleagues which required him to have a strong relationship with each person and to be both challenged and supported by others
- studied communication by practicing it himself and reflecting upon his work over numerous semesters
Thanks for sharing this with us Jon! Congratulations; we can’t wait to hear about how your summer goes!